Robert Harrison Blake was a writer and painter who died investigating the Starry Wisdom Sect in Providence, Rhode Island.
Cthulhu Mythos Edit
He is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos. The character is the creation of H. P. Lovecraft and appears in stories written by Lovecraft and Robert Bloch (of whom the character is said to be based).
He appears in Bloch's 'The Shambler from the Stars' and 'The Shadow over the Steeple', and H.P. Lovecraft's 'The Haunter of the Dark' in Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos.
In Lovecraft's tale, Robert Blake is a young author and painter from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He comes to Providence, Rhode Island and moves into an apartment on College Street. While there, he completes five short stories (which correspond to actual stories):
- "The Burrower Beneath" (The Blasphemy Beneath)
- "The Feaster from the Stars" (The Feaster from the Stars)
- "In the Vale of Pnath" (The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath)
- "Shaggai" (The Whisperer in Darkness)
- "The Stairs in the Crypt" (The Secret in the Crypt & The Grinning Ghoul)
He becomes obsessed with a deserted church on Federal Hill across the street from his residence. He later learns of a cult that was once active there, the Church of Starry Wisdom. His investigation of this cult inevitably leads to his death.